Installing Secure Browser for Linux (64-bit)
This procedure installs Secure Browser on desktop computers running one of the Linux distributions listed in the above table. These instructions may vary for your individual Linux distribution.
- Uninstall any previous versions of the secure browser by deleting the directory containing it.
- Obtain the root or super-user password for the computer on which you are installing the secure browser.
- Click the Download Browser link above. A dialog window opens. If prompted for a download location, select the desktop.
- Right-click the downloaded file
SecureBrowserX.X-YYYY-MM-DD-x86_64.tar.bz2 (64-bit), and select Extract Here to expand the file. This creates the VISecureBrowser folder on the desktop.
- In a file manager, open the VISecureBrowser.
- For Ubuntu, disable automatic running of scripts by doing the following (otherwise skip to step 7).
- From the menu bar, select Edit > Preferences. On the Behavior tab, mark the Ask each time radio button.
- Click Close.
- Change the installation script to executable by doing the following:
- Right-click the file
install-icon.sh, and select Properties.
- On the Permissions tab, mark the Allow executing file as a program checkbox.
- Click Close.
- Double-click the file
install-icon.sh. In the next dialog box, click Run in Terminal. The installation script prompts you for the root or super-user password you obtained in step 2.
- Enter the password. The script installs all dependent libraries and supported voice packs, and creates a VISecureBrowser icon on the desktop.
- Ensure all backgrounds jobs, such as virus scans or software updates, are scheduled outside of test windows. For example, if your testing takes place between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., schedule background jobs outside of these hours.
- If text-to-speech testing is performed on this computer, reboot it.
- From the desktop, double-click the VISecureBrowser icon to launch the browser. The student login screen appears. The browser fills the entire screen and hides any panels or launchers.
- To exit the browser, click CLOSE SECURE BROWSER in the upper-right corner of the screen.