Installing Secure Browser for Windows
This procedure installs Secure Browser on all supported versions of Windows.
- If you installed a previous version of the secure browser by copying its directory from one computer to another, manually uninstall the secure browser by deleting the installation folder and the desktop shortcut. (If you installed the secure browser using the Windows installation program, the installation package automatically removes it.)
- Click the Download Browser link above. A dialog window opens.
- Do one of the following (this step may vary depending on the browser you are using):
- If presented with a choice to Run or Save the file, click Run. This opens the Secure Browser Setup wizard.
- If presented only with the option to Save, save the file to a convenient location. After saving the file, double-click the installation file
SecureBrowserX.X-YYYY-MM-DD.msi to open the setup wizard.
- Follow the instructions in the setup wizard. When prompted for setup type, click Install.
- Click Finish to exit the setup wizard. The following items are installed:
- The secure browser to the default location
C:\Program Files (x86)\ (64 bit) or
C:\Program Files\ (32 bit).
- A shortcut IDSecureBrowser to the desktop.
- Ensure all background jobs, such as virus scans or software updates, are scheduled outside of test windows. For example, if your testing takes place between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., schedule background jobs outside of these hours.
- Optional: Apply proxy settings by doing the following:
For more information about proxy settings, see the Comprehensive Technology Manual, Chapter III. Secure Browser Installation.
- Right-click the shortcut IDSecureBrowser on the desktop, and select Properties.
- Under the Shortcut tab, in the Target field, modify the command to specify the proxy.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
- Run the browser by double-clicking the IDSecureBrowser shortcut on the desktop. The secure browser opens displaying the student login screen. The browser fills the entire screen and hides the task bar.
- To exit the browser, click CLOSE SECURE BROWSER in the upper-right corner of the screen.