Installing Secure Browser for Linux (32-bit)
This procedure installs Secure Browser on desktop computers running one of the Linux distributions listed in the above table. These instructions may vary for your individual Linux distribution.
- Uninstall any previous versions of the secure browser by deleting the directory containing it.
- Obtain the root or super-user password for the computer on which you are installing the secure browser.
- Click the Download Browser link above. A dialog window opens. If prompted for a download location, select the desktop.
- Right-click the downloaded file
SecureBrowserX.X-YYYY-MM-DD-i686.tar.bz2 (32-bit), and select Extract Here to expand the file. This creates the CASecureBrowser folder on the desktop.
- In a file manager, open the CASecureBrowser.
- For Ubuntu, disable automatic running of scripts by doing the following (otherwise skip to step 7).
- From the menu bar, select Edit > Preferences. On the Behavior tab, mark the Ask each time radio button.
- Click Close.
- Change the installation script to executable by doing the following:
- Right-click the file
install-icon.sh, and select Properties.
- On the Permissions tab, mark the Allow executing file as a program checkbox.
- Click Close.
- Double-click the file
install-icon.sh. In the next dialog box, click Run in Terminal. The installation script prompts you for the root or super-user password you obtained in step 2.
- Enter the password. The script installs all dependent libraries and supported voice packs, and creates a CASecureBrowser icon on the desktop.
- Ensure all backgrounds jobs, such as virus scans or software updates, are scheduled outside of test windows. For example, if your testing takes place between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., schedule background jobs outside of these hours.
- If text-to-speech testing is performed on this computer, reboot it.
- From the desktop, double-click the CASecureBrowser icon to launch the browser. An Untrusted App Launcher error message appears.
Click Trust and Launch. The student login screen appears. The browser fills the entire screen and hides any panels or launchers.
- To exit the browser, click CLOSE SECURE BROWSER in the upper-right corner of the screen.